Thursday, June 08, 2006

Punjabi food !!!

Good Morning, Sir.
Would u like to have some croissants, Sir? Croissant a l`Orange, If I may suggest, Sir.
No thanks, I will rather have a Truffade
Sir, our chef makes amazing Belgian Waffle.
Yeah I would have that with a generous serving of maple syrup.
Very well, Sir, Nice choice I must say.

Imagine my plight of going through these routine conversations with hotel staff day and night, everyday, even in Punjab, the land where milk flows more freely than the water in its five rivers. Till one day I had enough of it.
“Stop! Let me put an end to it”, I said.
Oye chak de phatte!!!

I then decided that I will atleast eat one food in the proper Punjabi way. And what better place there is than the road side “dhabas” in Punjab. So, I dragged my family out for a lunch in one such “dhaba”.

And what a lunch it was. True to the Punjabi spirit, we were initially served with three full jugs of “curd milk (read Hindi: lassi / chach)” free of cost that we were supposed to drink instead of water. It was followed by sizzling hot aaloo paranthas (read English: bread stuffed with potatoes) with loads of white fresh butter to eat with. And, Oh! What a relish it was.

I know my nutritionist would gag on hearing all this but then, I had the freedom to spoil myself for atleast one meal, didn’t I?

So my advice to all you visiting Punjab some time or the another. Forget dieting, fats or Atkins for just a day and splurge yourself in the richness of the true Punjabi food.
As I say again.. Oye Chuk De Phatte!!!

cheers

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo...Chuck De Phatte!!... I have been to punjab side (Amritsar) many times but never had food in a typical punjabi way in a dhaba...i would surely like to experience it :) ..and i liked the preamble of this entry.. :)

Jasleen

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ive neva hav eatn out 'in pujab in dhabas'..
but tried sm on d way to haridwar n stuff!
:D
ParuL

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home